Your search returned 2 results.
If you choose Bedford you can be certain of high quality clinical care and treatment in clean, comfortable surroundings. We our proud of our short waiting times, excellent medical and nursing staff, ample car parking, which is free for disabled patients and visitors, and we are in easy reach by car, bus or train. We provide a wide range of services from our modern facilities including maternity, vascular (vein) services and cancer care. Our focus is on providing high quality clinical services and support for patients.
These trusts also provide services at Bedford Hospital South Wing
Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Tel:020 7253 3411
East London NHS Foundation Trust
Tel:020 7655 4000
The Special Needs Team is part of the Speech and Language Therapy Service and is responsible for providing a service to preschool children with complex needs (Child Development Centre) and to children who have identified speech, language and communication needs and /or eating or swallowing difficulties (dysphagia) as part of their Education, Health and Care Plan who attend mainstream and special schools within Bedford Borough.
We provide a service for children between 0-19. The Service is provided in a number of ways depending on need. The Speech and Language Therapist will assess a child’s needs using formal and /or informal assessment methods; these will include observations and discussions with key adults in the child’s life. A report will be provided following initial assessment.
We will provide information and advice to enable key adults to:
• understand the language/ communication difficulty and / or swallowing difficulty
• gain skills to support the child at home and within the educational setting (preschools/schools).
We may provide individual sessions and / or group sessions to help develop specific skills and to review progress.
We aim to work collaboratively with parents and other professionals; and to agree a care plan which reflects identified targets to support development/management of the child’s speech, language and communication skills and/or eating and swallowing skills as appropriate.
Services offered to preschool children who attend the Child Development Centre include:
• initial assessment sessions ( contributing to a multidisciplinary assessment of a child’s needs)
• ‘communicate and play group’ sessions – children are offered this course of five weekly group sessions as appropriate following initial assessment.
• Down Syndrome group sessions – 6 sessions per year; a group for parents of children between 6-18months of age; to support early introduction of strategies to facilitate speech, language and communication development.
• Drop in group review sessions (Wednesday afternoons during term time) – these sessions are for children who have had an initial assessment and /or attended communicate and play groups. Families are given an allocated appointment between 13.00 and 14.30 or can attend without an appointment between14.30 and 15.30.
• Feeding clinic - joint clinic arranged by the Speech and Language Therapist and Paediatric Dietician to manage ongoing needs of children with swallowing difficulties. Approximately 2-3 clinics every 6-8 weeks.
Services provided to children who are attending a nursery/ preschool settings who have identified SEN; and children with identified needs as part of their Education, Health and Care Plan who attend mainstream and special schools:
• Assessment and review sessions are provided within the setting.
• Liaison with parents and education staff to agree and demonstrate strategies in order to provide a consistent approach to management of a child’s language and communication needs.
• Training and specialist support to parents and staff working with children and young people in preschool settings and schools; including parent workshops; termly program of workshops for adults supporting children within settings.