Bedford Open Door
What our service does
We offer 1:1 counselling to young people aged 13-25 yrs in Bedford Borough. Clients are offered 12 sessions of counselling which may be extended where necessary. Clients come for counselling to deal with issues in their lives which are stopping them living full and productive lives. We do not provide on going support but may sign post them to other services where appropriate. We also have 2 counsellors working in 2 upper schools in Bedford Borough.
Location of our service
We are based at 120 Tavistock Street and will see any young person from Bedford Borough.
Who our service provides for
• We will see any young person in the age range 13-25.
• We have access for those in wheelchairs.
• Some of our counsellors have experience of working with young people with autistic spectrum disorders.
• Young people need to be able to engage with the counsellor therefore at the assessment appointment if there were issues which would prevent this then they may be signposted to a more appropriate service.
• We do not have any counsellors who sign so profoundly deaf people may not be able to access the service.
• We also cannot help those who do not speak English at all.
How to start using our service
Young people can self refer. The service is free.
There is an initial assessment session and no pressure for the young person to continue if they don't feel it is for them.
We always have a waiting list due to the demand for counselling. We try to offer an initial appointment within 2-3 weeks.
How we communicate with our service users
We have a Client Focus Group who discuss the service and make suggestions which are then considered by the Trustees.
Clients complete a feedback form at the end of their counselling where they can make comments.
The work we do is with the young person and we do not pass on information to parents/carers about the sessions.
Accessibility of our service
We are very close to the bus station. Parking is on the road fairly close by. It is wheelchair accessible and we have a disabled toilet.
Any extra requirements would need to be discussed with the service to see how we could best help and facilitate.
Qualifications and training of our staff
All staff are trained in safeguarding/child protection.
General Contact Information
Contact the project manager or counselling manager to discuss individual cases.
Contact for more information
- Gerry Bentley
- Project Manager
- 120 Tavistock Street, Bedford, MK40 2SA
- 01234 360388
- 07922 105200
- Opening Hours:
- Mon, Tues, Wed 4:30-6:30pm; Wed 9:30-11:30am; Sat 10:30-12:30 including drop in.