Preparing for Adulthood

What our service does

Preparing for Adulthood - Transition (means “change”)
It is what happens when you start thinking about what you want to do when you leave school and what support you may need.
It is a time to look at what you want in life, and plan the services you may need to support you. Planning your transition starts happening when you are about 13 years old. A good transition means that you will be as independent as possible when you are an adult. It is important that you know about what will happen and how all of the different changes will affect you.

Additional Information

Your views are really important when planning for your transition:
• Think about what is important to you.
• Think of what you would like to do in the future.

In year 9 you will have an annual review, which your school will arrange. This is a Transition Review to review your statement of your educational needs (SEN). This is a meeting, where you will talk about the things that are important to you.

Your school will send out letters to all the people who need to come. You will talk about what you want to do when you leave school, and what support you will need to make that happen. From this meeting, as an outcome of your review you will have a Transition Plan. This is all about you and:
• the care and support you may need
• your plans and hopes for your future

Then, every year (or more often if you need to) you will have an Annual Review. This is another meeting where everyone makes sure the plan is going well. You will all look at the Transition Plan and agree any changes. Sometimes joint work may start before your 18th birthday between the Children’s Disability Team and the Adult Learning Disability Team. The new Children Schools and Families Bill (From September 2014) means that if you have special educational need and disability, you will have an Education and Health Plan (EHC), which will continue to be reviewed annually until you leave education or training, possibly up to when you are 25years old.’

You will leave school sometime between the ages of 16 and 19. There will be another review of your Transition Plan, and you will have an apportunity to look into work you want to do. Before you leave school, your Named Worker will talk to you about the support you need if you start another course or training. This is called a ‘Section 139’ assessment. Once you are settled in your adult life, some of the people who helped you through your transition will change. You may have a new Social Worker from the adult learning disability team. You might also get a new key worker. You may start using Adult Health Care Services.
NB: From September 2014 Young People with Special Education Needs and Disability will have an Education and Health Plan that will be reviewed until you leave education or training, possibly up to 25 years of age.

Contact for more information


Record Last Reviewed On: 10/11/2017