Hazeldene Lower School

Mission Statement

enjoying learning and achieving together

How we support your child's learning

The class teacher

Responsible for:
▪ Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
▪ Writing Pupil Progress targets/Individual Education Plans (IEPs),and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
▪ Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school's provision map.
▪ Ensuring that the school's SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SENCo/Inclusion Manager: Mrs. V Norman

Responsible for:
▪ Developing and reviewing the school's SEN policy.
▪ Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
Ensuring that you are:

i) involved in supporting your child's learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

▪ Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child's learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
▪ Updating the school's SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept.
▪ Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher: Mrs H Ward

Responsible for:
▪ The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
▪ The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child's needs are met.
▪ The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEN Governor: Mrs M Lambert

Responsible for:
▪ Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

School contact telephone number: 01234 300100

Accessibility of our service

▪ The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
▪ The school has easy access, double doors and ramps.
▪ The front desk has a wheel-chair height section and is DDA compliant.
▪ There are two disabled toilets, a dedicated hygiene room which includes a shower area and changing facilities.
▪ We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
There is lift access to the 1st floor.
▪ After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.
▪ Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN

How we identify SEN

All children are monitored continuously to ensure progress. Class teachers meet termly with the Headteacher to discuss the progress that all children are making. Any concerns regarding progress of children would be discussed with the SENCo and the class teacher in the first instance and possible interventions or support would be discussed with the parent and child.

If you have concerns about your child's progress, you should speak to your child's class teacher initially.
▪ If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo).
▪ The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

How we support your child/young person

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:
▪ That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
▪ That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
▪ That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
▪ That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
▪ Your child's teacher will have carefully checked on your child's progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be:
▪ Run in the classroom or a group room.
▪ Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
▪ Run by the SENCo or specialist teachers.

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:
▪ Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
▪ Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:
▪ You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
▪ The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (Including All Children's documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from
▪ Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
▪ Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

How we match the curriculum to your child's needs

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child's needs are met.
▪ Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
▪ Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
▪ Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child's learning needs

The support we give to your child's well being

Class teachers work with the PSHCE leader in the first instance, to deliver 'quality first' personal, social, health and citizenship education in the classroom. This is an adaptive programme of study which allows class teachers to be reflective on the current needs of SEND children. Values education is promoted within the school with a monthly focus value, encompassing weekly assemblies and references made across the whole curriculum.

The school has a Learning Mentor, who supports individual children and small groups to develop their behaviour, emotional and social development needs. Referrals can be made by class teachers, after discussion with parents and the child.

Specialist support can be sought from CHUMS or CAMH. This specialist support would be accessed in partnership with parents and the child.

The expertise we have access to

School provision
▪ Teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals on a part-time basis.
▪ Teaching Assistants mainly working in the Group Rooms with either individual children or small groups.
▪ ICT support in the form of writing and maths programmes and Sounds Write phonic reading programme, is delivered by teaching assistants , according to need.
▪ Learning Mentor offering support for children with emotional and social development

Local Authority Provision which can sometimes be delivered in school
▪ Autism Outreach Service
▪ Educational Psychology Service
▪ Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
▪ Parent Partnership Service
▪ SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision which can sometimes be delivered in school
▪ Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
▪ School Nurse
▪ Occupational Therapy
▪ Physiotherapy

How we include your child in extra curricular activities

All children will be able to access all areas of the curriculum inside an outside of school. Targeted support will be made available for individual children as required.

How we prepare your child to join us or transfer to another setting

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:
▪ The SENCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
▪ If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
▪ Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:
▪ We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
▪ We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:
▪ Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.
▪ If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

In Year 4:
▪ The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child's middle school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
▪ Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
▪ Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
▪ If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them

How we match our resources to your child

▪ The school budget, received from Bedford Borough Council, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
▪ The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
▪ The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including

the children getting extra support already,

the children needing extra support,

the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.
The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible

How we involve parents

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.
▪ The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
▪ All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
▪ Personal progress targets /IEPs/ IBPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
▪ Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child's individual requirements.
▪ A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child

How we include your child in the planning of their support

IEPs are discussed with children in line with their developmental stage. Targets and planning are agreed with individual children, in line with their developmental stage.

General Contact Information

Vicky Norman (SENCo) vnorman@hazeldene.bbvle.com
01234 300100

Contact for more information

Vicky Norman
Hazeldene Lower School, Stancliffe Road, Putnoe, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK419AT
01234 300100
01234 300102