Children Missing Education
What our service does
The Government has placed a duty on the local authorities Section 436A of the Education Act 1996 (Education and Inspections Act 2006) to make arrangements to establish (so far as it is possible to do so) the identities of children in their area who are of compulsory school age and not receiving a suitable education. This duty is supported from Revised Statutory Guidance - January 2009.
The purpose of the Child Missing Education (CME) Procedures (2009) is to establish a set of principles which all agencies can subscribe to and is underpinned by Bedford's Children and Young People's Plan, to ensure that Bedford Borough Council (BBC)
1) Is able to fulfil its statutory duty to provide an education for all children of compulsory school age.
2) Is able to locate, assess, monitor and track children and young people missing from education in order for them to reach their full potential.
3) Identifies those at risk of becoming missing from education and accordingly allocates appropriate staff to intervene.
4) Maintains contact with those missing from education and those at risk of becoming so.
5) Is able to produce, monitor and evaluate data on CME for Elected Members and Senior Officers in Children's Service.
6) Ensure their responsibility is to be carried out through a strategic and multi-agency framework where all agencies share information on the identification of children and young people missing education.
Location of our service
I am based at Bedford Borough Council, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford, MK42 9AP and can be contacted on 01234 228178.
I cover the Bedford Borough area only.
Who our service provides for
Children Missing Education is a service for children of compulsory school age from 0 to 16 years old.
Compulsory school age ceases on the last Friday in June of the school year in which a child reaches sixteen.
How to start using our service
You can make direct contact with me to enquire about your child/ren's education. The service is free to children of compulsory school age - it is a Statutory Duty for the Local Authority to provide this service.
- If you have moved into Bedford Borough Council and your children are not accessing education.
- If your child is not on a school roll/receiving education.
If you are concerned about a child who you believe may be missing education and you wish to make a referral, or if you wish to know more about the Bedford Borough Children Missing Education procedures, please contact the Children Missing Education Officer
How decisions are made about who can use our service
The CMEO keeps families informed through every stage of the referral process. Similarly, when other agencies have referred a child who they suspect may be missing education they will be notified of progress made and when the matter is resolved/child located.
How we communicate with our service users
Communications is via telephone and email.
Accessibility of our service
Yes, Bedford Borough is easy to get to and there is parking plus fully wheelchair accessible.
Qualifications and training of our staff
General Contact Information
Please contact me on 01234 228178 for Guidance or information for Children Missing Education.
Contact for more information
- Debi Momi
- Children Missing Education Officer
- Bedford Borough Council, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford, MK42 9AP
- 01234 228178
- 01234 276014
- Opening Hours:
- Monday - Friday mornings (Tel messages 24 hours